Wednesday 15 December 2010

DECK THE HALLS

Every year I start to decorate for Christmas gradually, I like to enjoy the camp glamour for as long as I can. I will always start with table decorations and paper lanterns.
This cake stand I made gluing vintage plates and charity shop glasses together. I did not make these cakes though.
The lanterns get hung around the 10th, these are vintage and have been collected from charity shops for years. They remind me of the ones that never got hung when I was a child, Mum was into the new foil decorations and these looked too old fashioned.

Most years I make an advent calender for my offspring, this year each envelope holds a chocolate coin and a reminder of what is to come. To give it that wintry feel I hung the crocheted snowflake I made last year.

These go back a few years. I got sacking from the local health food store and Father Christmas would mysteriously fill them on Christmas eve and yes they will still get filled this year.

In a former life I painted objects made from birch ply, I made several of these wreaths to sell and put up the prototype every year.

I have a penchant for vintage decorations and this Father Christmas was given to me by a dear friend last year.
This little chap however is from my childhood, a proper 1960s Christmas object.

In the past I have taken part in Christmas sales and never quite had the confidence that pictures sell, although they did, so I would always make some Christmas items for my table. One year I made a load of stockings from old jumpers, no knitting required. I now hang it every year in the hope that Father Christmas might notice this one...?

Last but not least, a new tradition in our house is our macabre decoration. Rudolf now comes out every year. Surreal, humorous or just scary...you choose.
Happy preparations.










6 comments:

Gill said...

Oh my goodness!! I have a pine cone figure too -except mine is on skis!! Mine came from my mum
I guess we must be about the same age!!!

mycuriousteaparty said...

The lanterns remind me of my childhood, and of my mum, happy memories, thank you..

I remember that my mum packed them all away during the late 60's and 70's as they were old fashioned. If only she were still here to see yet another 'old fashioned' idea come back, she would laugh and probably think we were daft buying all that 'old tat' as she called it.

Merry Christmas

~ Julie

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thanks for the heads up... but of course I couldn't resist a peek. Phew, what a relief you didn't dwell on those snowflakes otherwise I'd have wanted to have the pattern and the instructions! Lovely traditions. That macabre steer reminds me of my wedding photographs. Remind me one day and I'll show you what I mean...they're not for the faint hearted! Lesley xx

Sharon McSwiney said...

Looks fab Sue...looking forward to seeing it all on Sunday xxx

MrCachet said...

Hmmm. That looks like a RED Deer, not a REINdeer!

Murgatroyd said...

Thanks for popping by to leave a comment Sue. I've just been admiring your beautiful work. I'm guessing from Sharon's comment that you may be selling in Cheltenham on Sunday? Grr, if only I was free to come over, would love to see more. Good luck & best wishes with the weather!